Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Software Engineering--Final Thoughts

I'd like to conclude this semester with a reflection on software engineering--the discipline, and how my viewpoints have changed over the course of the semester.

Initially I was a little skeptical about software engineering in general. I have exposure and experience in research in computer science, and I viewed the differences as stark. I was unsure how I would take to it or how enjoyable I would find it.

One thing that surprised me was how much the two disciplines went hand in hand in our project. I found the science infused in every day choices throughout the semester, regarding things like algorithms and data structure choices. It was also interesting to me how much above and beyond the science the engineering was. There is so much more to creating a good product than understanding how it should work and the science behind the implementation.

My views towards software engineering are definitely different and I think the perspective I gained this semester is wonderful. I now know much more about what being an engineer actually means and am confident that I would both enjoy and be successful in an engineering role.

I am going to take some of the lessons I learned in this course and apply them to my own research as I go to graduate school. I will continue to allow the science and the engineering to work together in my work, as I make this a priority. I believe this approach will benefit the quality of my work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment